Nationwide claim representatives and agents are prepared to assist members should Florence become a weather-related disaster. Nationwide has people and resources in place to respond to its members’ needs.
Members with storm damage should call the Nationwide claims hotline at
1-800-421-3535 or contact their local agent. Members can also visit www.nationwide.com or use the Nationwide app to file a claim.
“Everyone in hurricane-prone areas should pay careful attention to the track of this storm and take steps now to protect your property and those who live with you,” said Ken Enscoe, senior director of Nationwide’s Catastrophe Response Operations.
Members should consider the following steps now to help prepare for Florence:
- While you have time, examine your property to ensure there are no physical and/or liability hazards present.
- Protect the four critical areas where wind can enter: roof, windows, doors and garage doors. Either you or a building contractor can build and install temporary protection, such as approved wind shutters or plywood on windows and coverings for patio and entry doors, strengthen and stiffen garage doors, and install heavy-duty door hardware. For more information visit, the Insurance Institute for Better Homes & Safety website – https://disastersafety.org/.
- Turn off power and water.
- Move anything in your yard that can become flying debris inside your house or garage.
- Protect mementos in waterproof containers and/or take the items with you if you evacuate. (Other household items can be replaced.)
- Read and understand your insurance policy.
- Inventory valuables and contents in the home with pictures or video. Note the approximate value of each item and the date of purchase. You can also send an inventory to a family member outside your region for safekeeping.
- Make sure important documents, such as an insurance policy or mortgage papers, are stored in a safe deposit or fire safe box.
- This information is provided by Nationwide.com.