Whether a connoisseur of Cabernet or a supporter of Shiraz, no one wants to think about the possibility of a damaged wine collection. To help wine lovers protect one of their most delectable possessions, Nationwide Private Client, which offers custom insurance coverage for wine collections, has released its wine collection protection tips in honor of National Wine Day on May 25th. The top three ways to protect your wine collection are:
1. Document Your Investment
- Keep all original documents, including: purchase receipts, auction catalog or private seller information.
- Keep photos and detailed descriptions of wine bottles that include unique bottle marks and vintage year.
- Maintain an updated inventory list including descriptions, accurate count of bottles, and storage locations.
- Get routine, professional appraisals of your collection, and keep a running record of appraised values.
2. Optimal Storage
- Store wine in a cellar or electric wine cooler The best place for storage is in a cellar or electric wine cooler with fiberglass insulation to regulate temperature and protect against mold or damage to the label.
- Climate control Keep wine away from areas that could generate temperature changes such as kitchens or laundry rooms. The ideal temperature range for wine storage is between 45- 65 degrees Fahrenheit. Avoid arid environments that can dry out corks. Areas with 50-80 percent humidity are adequate for storage.
- Store bottles on their side to prevent the cork from drying out.
- Keep stored bottles away from light Sunlight can damage wine by aging it prematurely and household light bulbs can fade labels.
3. Insure Your Collection
- Protect your valuable collection with a personal collections insurance policy from Nationwide Private Client that covers accidental breakage, theft, fire, water-related damage, and loss or damage caused by mechanical breakdown of refrigeration equipment.
“By understanding the unique needs of our clients, we know how personal and special one’s wine collection can be,” said Jim Pedersen, president of Nationwide Private Client. “These tips are just one example of how we guide clients in protecting what is most important to them. Personally selected, outstanding vintages are meant to be enjoyed when the right time arrives, and our expertise helps ensure this can happen.”
Nationwide Private Client products and services are designed specifically to address the needs of the affluent market and provide superior coverage for home, auto, collections, personal excess liability, secondary residences and additional exposures. Nationwide offers the agility and responsiveness of a broad network of insurance professionals who provide concierge claims service and one-on-one support from risk solutions consultants.