There’s no doubt that sports cars are easy on the eye. But, sadly, they can also be hard on your bank account. Knowing what you’re getting into before buying a sports car is essential, so here’s a look at when to go all-in and when to walk away.
Reasons to buy a sports car
1. You crave something sporty and stylish. The right car can look fast even when it’s standing still, and today’s breed of sports cars has a wide selection of styles, colors and price points to suit just about every taste.
2. Resale value is important. We know that all cars depreciate quickly, but many sports cars actually have better resale values than the average sedan or pickup truck. Because of their sleek design, and because fewer of them are usually manufactured, they have a greater chance of holding their value or becoming a classic.
3. You’re all about performance. If you’re one of those drivers who likes getting behind the wheel simply to enjoy handling a car, you can’t beat a sports car. They’re made to respond and perform.
When to rethink buying a sports car
1. You want a comfy commute. Sports cars tend to have a stiffer ride because manufacturers typically use firmer suspensions and low-profile tires to improve handling. Get ready to feel every bump.
2. You’re on a tight budget. The higher price tag doesn’t end when you leave the lot; you might be surprised at how much more you spend on maintenance, fuel and tires. Sports cars (and their owners) are usually less concerned with miles per gallon than with the zero to 60 stats. As a result, you can expect less fuel economy, while at the same time needing to buy premium gas.
3. You need passenger room. Most sports cars don’t have a back seat, and the ones that do aren’t really suitable for much more than a briefcase or an overnight bag. They make great cars to go on a date, but not so great for getting the kids to school.
Regardless of what kind of car you end up choosing to buy, you always want to have the best car insurance coverage possible. Find out how car insurance from Nationwide can keep you protected at an affordable price.